mCherry RFP in plants

Zhi-Liang Zheng
Hi,

I am wondering who has the experience of using the mCherry version of
Red Fluorescent Proteins in protein tagging in Arabidopsis. Our young
lab is planning to do a protein-protein colocalization study, but the
tech support staff in Zeiss told me that our confocal microscope system
works well only with green and red channels. If you would be wiling to
share your mCherry or any other Red fusion system with us, I will
greatly appreciate.

Zhi-Liang Zheng, PhD
Assistant Professor of Plant Cellular Signaling
Department of Biological Sciences
Lehman College, City University of New York
250 Bedford Park Blvd West
Bronx, NY 10468
Office: 718-960-6955
Fax: 718-960-8236
E-mail: [hidden email]
http://www.lehman.cuny.edu/faculty/zheng/

Re: mCherry RFP in plants

John Runions

Dear Zhi-Liang,

We routinely use mRFP in co-localization studies with GFP in Nicotiana
leaves.  What Zeiss confocal do you have? We use LSM 510's to excite the
red fluorescent proteins. Neither mRFP or mCherry (excitation 587 /
emission610) are optimally excited by the 543nm laser but they do work.
You would be better off using the 561nm laser (which I think is the
closest one to 587 that Zeiss supply... could be wrong).  Ultimately, I
don't think you can predict how bright the RFPs will be in your system
without trying them.

Good luck, John.

Zhi-Liang Zheng wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am wondering who has the experience of using the mCherry version of
>Red Fluorescent Proteins in protein tagging in Arabidopsis. Our young
>lab is planning to do a protein-protein colocalization study, but the
>tech support staff in Zeiss told me that our confocal microscope system
>works well only with green and red channels. If you would be wiling to
>share your mCherry or any other Red fusion system with us, I will
>greatly appreciate.
>
>Zhi-Liang Zheng, PhD
>Assistant Professor of Plant Cellular Signaling
>Department of Biological Sciences
>Lehman College, City University of New York
>250 Bedford Park Blvd West
>Bronx, NY 10468
>Office: 718-960-6955
>Fax: 718-960-8236
>E-mail: [hidden email]
>http://www.lehman.cuny.edu/faculty/zheng/

C. John Runions, Ph.D.
School of Biological and Molecular Sciences
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford, UK
OX3 0BP

email: [hidden email]