Yellowing seedlings on MS

Pablo JENIK
Dear Colleagues,

I'm looking for clues in solving a growing problem (no pun intended).
When we grow our Arabidopsis (a variety of genotypes) on standard MS
plates (1x MS, 1% sucrose, 1x Gamborg's vitamins), the seedlings look
yellow-green instead of bright green, and the cots seem to curve down.
Seedlings growing on soil side-by-side with those growing on the
plates (same growth chamber, same lights) look fine. Any ideas about
what may be going on and how to solve it?

Thank you very much,

Pablo

--
Pablo Jenik
Assistant Professor

Re: Yellowing seedlings on MS

Tobias Baskin
Hi Pablo,
        In my experience, full strength MS should be considered a
stress. I suggest trying half strength. I realize that probably you
have been growing your plants on 1 x MS for "years" with no problem
but if something now is causing some other stress, then the two of
them together could be synergizing.
        And on this subject, when I was first getting into growing
arabidopsis, we tried + vs - vitamins and in our conditions found
absolutely no effect of the vitamins. So we leave them out. It has
always puzzled me what they are supposed to be doing. Are they really
taken up? Don't plants make enough of their own? (But I don't think
the vitamins could be hurting your seedlings, just making a comment).
        As ever
                Tobias

At 10:09 AM -0400 5/28/12, Pablo JENIK wrote:

>Dear Colleagues,
>
>I'm looking for clues in solving a growing problem (no pun intended).
>When we grow our Arabidopsis (a variety of genotypes) on standard MS
>plates (1x MS, 1% sucrose, 1x Gamborg's vitamins), the seedlings look
>yellow-green instead of bright green, and the cots seem to curve down.
>Seedlings growing on soil side-by-side with those growing on the
>plates (same growth chamber, same lights) look fine. Any ideas about
>what may be going on and how to solve it?
>
>Thank you very much,
>
>Pablo
>
>--
>Pablo Jenik
>Assistant Professor
>Department of Biology
>Franklin and Marshall College
>P.O. Box 3003
>Lancaster, PA 17604-3003
>(717) 358-4431

       _      ____          __   ____
      /  \   /          / \    /   \ \       Tobias I. Baskin
     /   /  /          /   \   \      \         Professor
    /_ /   __      /__ \   \       \__     Biology Department
   /      /          /       \   \       \         611 N. Pleasant St.
  /      /          /         \   \       \       University of
Massachusetts
/      / ___   /           \   \__/  \ ____ Amherst, MA, 01003
www.bio.umass.edu/biology/baskin
Voice: 413 - 545 - 1533 Fax: 413 - 545 - 3243

RE: Yellowing seedlings on MS

Lars Hennig-4
This is a common problem of two strong MS. Use 0.5 x MS instead.

Good luck,

Lars

RE: Yellowing seedlings on MS

John Turner (BIO)
Dear Tobias

Our experience confirms your comment that MS salts at full strength suppress growth of Arabidopsis in axenic culture, and we use half-strength, as you suggest. We don't use vitamins. Likewise there should be no need for sucrose for growing green plants. But we use 1%.

The MS medium was originally for culture of non-photosynthetic cells and tissues, and has been adopted possibly without extensive testing for Arabidopsis. Growing Arabidopsis in agarose has other undesirable effects. Light induces proplastid development in roots (which are normally kept dark in soil) and this may reduce growth. Many years ago this group posted that Arabidopsis grows better when its roots are in medium which promotes drainage, so soggy agarose may not help.

On a quiet road near where I live there is a 10 metre row of robust Arabidopsis plants, now in full seed, growing out of a 1/8 inch crack between the kerb and paving stones....

John

John Turner
Professor of Plant Science
University of East Anglia
Norwich Research Park
NR4 7TJ, England

email: [hidden email]
Phone 0 1603 592192

John,

        I suspect that arabidopsis roots in the 'wild' might get more
light than many others insofar as they grow in disturbed open areas,
though of course not as much light as in a growth chamber. Roots of
many species stop elongation or nearly so when exposed to light.

        At least plants are often sucrose limited. I can see no
analgous argument for vitamins and I agree tha the addition of
vitamins is probably an appendix, as it were. The sucrose in the
medium  perhaps acts like some extra photosynthate, feeding the root.
In our hands, for plants on plates, the addition of 1% sucrose makes
root elongation more uniform among a set of plants on a plate, which
is certainly convenient.

        As ever,
                Tobias