The Bioinformatics of Protein Structure, March 2009

The Bioinformatics of Protein Structure, March 2009

Heather Vincent
The Bioinformatics of Protein Structure, offered by the University of
Leeds, is one of a number of online courses run jointly with The
University of Manchester.

Like all of our distance courses, it is delivered in a Virtual Learning
Environment that allows us to extend the classroom into the web.  Each
course, which is paced to suit those in full-time employment, runs over
16 teaching weeks.

The aim of this course is for the participant to first acquire a
knowledge of the basic mechanisms of protein evolution.  Students will
then use their knowledge to inform and guide the process of relating
protein structure, function and primary sequence data.

The course is divided into 9 sections:-

    1.   Amino Acids and Molecular Interactions

    2. Protein Secondary Structure

    3. Domains, Folds and Motifs

    4. Introduction to Protein Evolution

    5. Classification of Protein Structure

    6. Protein Sequence Alignment

    7. Construction of Phylogenetic Trees

    8. Prediction of Secondary Structure

    9. Introduction to Comparative Modelling

You will find information on all our courses, including fees and a link
to the online application form, here :
http://octette.cs.man.ac.uk/bioinformatics/index.html  If you have any
questions, or need advice on the module options, please contact