Testing Evolutionary Theories of Aging - New Study

Testing Evolutionary Theories of Aging - New Study

Leonid Gavrilov-3
Greetings,

I am pleased to share with you our new article on testing the aging theories, which is published recently by peer-reviewed journal:

Testing predictions of the programmed and stochastic theories of aging:
Comparison of variation in age at death, menopause, and sexual maturation.
Biochemistry (Moscow), 2012, 77(7), 754-760.
PMID: 22817539.  DOI: 10.1134/S0006297912070085

Full text of the article is attached to this e-mail message; it is also available online at the following links:

- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3428266/
- http://www.springerlink.com/content/e4231173k8388732/
- http://protein.bio.msu.ru/biokhimiya/contents/v77/full/77070907.html
- http://longevity-science.org/pdf/Gavrilova-Biochemistry-2012.pdf

Here is a brief description of our new study:
----------------------------------
One of the arguments against aging being programmed is the assumption that variation in the timing of aging-related outcomes is much higher compared to variation in timing of the events programmed by ontogenesis. The main objective of this study was to test the validity of this argument. To this aim, we compared absolute variability (standard deviation) and relative variability (coefficient of variation) for parameters that are known to be determined by the developmental program (age at sexual maturity) with variability of characteristics related to aging (ages at menopause and death).

We used information on the ages at sexual maturation (menarche) and menopause from the nationally representative survey of the adult population of the United States (MIDUS) as well as published data for 14 countries. We found that coefficients of variation are in the range of 8–13% for age at menarche, 7–11% for age at menopause, and 16–21% for age at death. Thus, the relative variability for the age at death is only twice higher than for the age at menarche, while the relative variability for the age at menopause is almost the same as for the age at menarche.
------------------------------

Comments and suggestions are most welcome!  Feel free to share this article with your friends and colleagues who may be interested.

Kind regards,

--  Leonid Gavrilov

--  Leonid Gavrilov, Ph.D.
Fellow of the Gerontological Society of America (GSA)
Convener for GSA Interest Group "Societal Implications of Delayed Aging"
Website: http://longevity-science.org/
Blog: http://longevity-science.blogspot.com/
Our books: http://longevity-science.org/Books.html

Gavrilova-Biochemistry-2012.pdf (193K) Download Attachment