Prototheca

Anthony DeSante
Hello, my name is Anthony De Sante, and my sister's Boxer breed canine just had to be put to sleep because he suffered from the "prototheca" fungul infection.  The fungul infection led to his blindness and then he was put to sleep shortly after.  Living in Houston Texas, have there been very many cases reported? And what possible causes would contribute to his acquiring "prototheca"?  Thank you for your time, knowledge, and advice on this matter!
  Sincerely,
  Anthony

Re: Prototheca

FamilyFrance
Hello,

My 14 months old female boxer-pointer Giulia suffered from the "prototheca" fungul infection.
We have decided to end her suffering.

She suffered diarrhea during 4 months accompanied during the last month by a rectum that did not wanted to come in each time she went to the stool.

She finally had a glaucoma and the results of the biopsy confirmed prototheca infection.

What is my opinion :

 - her mother, a 10 years old boxer died about a month after her birth (she was the only surviving dog out of 3), may be her mother was already infected and survived during pregnancy with many antibodies that protected one of its embryos

- we did not interested in the diarrhea's problems of our dog for 3 months;
- initially there may be the presence of algae in the gut but not sickly and without Prototheca spreading;
- if we had treated quickly the problem with a classic diarrhea fungicide then Prototheca would perhaps not begun to spread (it seems Prototheca is everywhere and often in dogs gut but it doesn't developp itself at all)

- giving corticosteroids while we were still waiting the results of the biopsy has probably been a bad idea because the immune defenses of my dog fell broadly which favored the influence of algae, including the onset of glaucoma one week after the start taking corticosteroids

- my Giulia, a so vigourous dog, used to drink the brome treated swimming-pool water that was clear but whom ph was sometimes very basic or very acid

Anyway, I ask myself a lot of questions and my sadness is infinite.
Thank you for reading.
Bruno - France

A la mémoire de Giulia Love

Anthony DeSante wrote