Protein precipitation in HPLC buffer

Mouldi SAIDI
I would like to separate caseins using HPLC and it is known that
acetonitrile precipitates proteins. Is it possible to use it
Thank you very much

Re: Protein precipitation in HPLC buffer

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
Am 22.01.2009, 08:28 Uhr, schrieb Mouldi SAIDI <[hidden email]>:

> I would like to separate caseins using HPLC and it is known that
> acetonitrile precipitates proteins. Is it possible to use it

Sure. However, proteins - as opposed to small peptides - can not be
separated by reverse phase chromatography (with a C18 column and
acetonitrile gradient). You need other chromatographic principles. I have
never worked with caseins, but consider ion exchange chromatography,
chromatofocussing or hydrophobic interaction chromatography. A literature
search on scholar.google.com may be a good first step.