[Protein-analysis] Re: Question about Hypothetical Thermal Injury of the Inner Ear

[Protein-analysis] Re: Question about Hypothetical Thermal Injury of the Inner Ear

Kyle Legate
Radium wrote:

> Radium wrote:
>
>>DK wrote:
>>

>>>If inner hair cells are all dead (and they *are* if their proteins are
>>>denatured), then the alterations in auditory perceptions to occur
>>>would be deafness.
>>
>>Any tinnitus? Any distortion in sound before complete deafness?
>

> What if only the IHCs of the ^apical^ membrane is affected?

As opposed to inner hair cells of the basolateral membrane!?

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a bionet topic.

For your information "Radium" there is a Basilar membrane, a Tectorial
membrane and a Vestibular membrane, there is no apical membrane.

http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/physio/cullenlab/img209/vestcol_opt.jpg

To answer your madly impossible hypothetical question, deafness would
occur. No distortion, nothing. No sound. Tinnitus is a neurological
condition which may occur 20% of the time.