Please support plant scientists facing destruction of their research

Please support plant scientists facing destruction of their research

Joanna Friesner-2
>From Arab-UK:

Please support plant scientists facing destruction of their research
Dear All

You may have seen in today¹s press that protesters are planning to destroy
John Pickett¹s team¹s chemical ecology research at Rothamsted on 27th May
because it uses genetically modified wheat. The researchers are appealing
for them to call off the destruction and discuss the work: ³Growing wheat
has an environmental toll of extensive insecticide use  to control aphid
pests. The research, which is non-commercial, is investigating how to reduce
that by getting the plants to repel aphids with a natural pheromoneŠ  As
scientists we know only too well that we don¹t have all the answers. But if
the work is destroyed, we¹ll lose years of work and we will never know
whether it could reduce the environmental impact of wheat growing.²

Sense About Science stands up for people whose research faces intimidation
or suppression. We know that you will do all you can to make it clear that
destroying scientific research is not acceptable. Please read their letter,
watch their video and add your support to their appeal. Links to all below

http://www.senseaboutscience.org/pages/defend-science.html
http://www.senseaboutscience.org/data/files/Defend_Science/Appeal_Letter.pdf
 http://www.youtube.com/embed/I9scGtf5E3I?rel=0
http://www.senseaboutscience.org/petition.php

Other things you can do to help:

 Send the message far and wide: forward the link to friends and colleagues
 Share the support form using Twitter hashtag #defendscience and share the
link on Facebook

Dr Tabitha Innocent
Scientific Liaison
Sense About Science