Na K ATPase Protocol

RHIANNON THOMPSON
Dear Phillipp Pagel,

I'm not sure if you are still using this email address or even still work in this field, however I came across a webpage where you dicuss a Na K ATPase protocol. I was wondering if you still had a version of this protocol that you would mind forwarding to me? I'm having alot of trouble with a Na K ATPase assay, in my assay ouabain appears to produce Pi! Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rhiannon
Rhiannon Thompson
Postgraduate Research Student
Psychiatric Research Institute of Neuroscience in Glasgow (PsyRING)
West Medical Building
University of Glasgow
G12 8QQ
(0141) 330 5153

Re: Na K ATPase Protocol

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum
Am 24.03.2010, 09:40 Uhr, schrieb RHIANNON THOMPSON
<[hidden email]>:

> Dear Phillipp Pagel,
>
> I'm not sure if you are still using this email address or even still
> work in this field, however I came across a webpage where you dicuss a
> Na K ATPase protocol. I was wondering if you still had a version of this
> protocol that you would mind forwarding to me? I'm having alot of
> trouble with a Na K ATPase assay, in my assay ouabain appears to produce
> Pi! Any help would be much appreciated.

In case you didn't notice, you are sending to a discussion group, not an
idividual. As to assays for Na/K-ATPase activity (or any other ATPase, for
that matter), you can detect the produced ADP by a coupled
spectrophotometric test (coupling with LDH and PK) or by measuring the
released Pi. The latter can be done photometrically, fluorimetrically or
(for highest sensitivity) with gamma 32- or 33P-ATP. In case of
Na/K-ATPase of course the release should be sensitive to ouabain.

W. Schoner, C. v. Ilberg, R. Kramer & W. Seubert: On the Mechanism of Na+
and K+-Stimulated Hydrolysis of Adenosine Triphosphate, Eur. J. Biochem. 1
(1967) 334-343

C.H. Fiske & Y. Subbarov: The Colorimetric Determination of Phosphorus.
J. Biol. Chem. 66 (1925) 375-400

Brune,M.; Hunter,J.L.; Corrie,J.E.T.; Webb,M.R.: Direct, Real-time
Measurement of Rapid Inorganic Phosphate Release Using a Novel Fluorescent
Probe and its Application to Actomyosine Subfragment 1 ATPase,
Biochemistry 33 (1994) 8262-8271

Geladopoulos,T.P.; Sotiroudis,T.G.; Evangelopoulos,A.E.: A Malachite Green
Colorimetric Assay for Protein Phosphatase Activity, Anal. Biochem. 192
(1991) 112-116

H.H. Neufeld & H.M. Levy: A Second Ouabain-Sensitive Sodium Dependent
Adenosine Triphosphatase in Brain Microsomes,  J. Biol. Chem. 244 (1969)
6493-6497