Make Akta Prime Software work under Linux!?

Make Akta Prime Software work under Linux!?

WS-4
Dear Colleagues,

I am about to make the Äkta Prime package run with Opensuse Linux 11.1
(WINE 1.1.9, Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default). I already successfully have
set up the Prime software to acquire data from the machine (for
monitoring runs, "Csyscon.exe prime"). However, I have serious
problems doing the same with the Evaluation software ("Emain.exe
prime") that is used to analyze the data. Currently, I am figthing
with DLLs (MFC42.DLL and MSVCRT.DLL in detail) as I get error messages
pointing to unresolved functions, the app crashed after loading any
data set. I already have tried all versions of these DLLs I could get
hold of, but no success yet.

Has anyone already solved the "problem" or wants to do the same and is
willing to share her/his experience? Or is interested to team up?

Best regards,

Wolfgang

(Äkta/Akta Prime is an FPLC protein purification machine from
Pharmacia/Amersham/GE-Healthcare)

Re: Make Akta Prime Software work under Linux!?

ddloeb
On Jan 1, 7:33 am, WS <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am about to make the Äkta Prime package run with Opensuse Linux 11.1
> (WINE 1.1.9, Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default). I already successfully have
> set up the Prime software to acquire data from the machine (for
> monitoring runs, "Csyscon.exe prime"). However, I have serious
> problems doing the same with the Evaluation software ("Emain.exe
> prime") that is used to analyze the data. Currently, I am figthing
> with DLLs (MFC42.DLL and MSVCRT.DLL in detail) as I get error messages
> pointing to unresolved functions, the app crashed after loading any
> data set. I already have tried all versions of these DLLs I could get
> hold of, but no success yet.

I don't use Akta Prime (or Wine), but in general I have three
suggestions:

a) Have you tried Codeweavers Crossover-Linux?  It is based on Wine,
but is compatible with more Windows applications than Wine is.

b) I use VMWare - haven't found a single application that doesn't work
with it yet.  But then again, they're running in a Windows XP guest
session running on Linux.

c) You could try Bochs.  It is a little slower than VMWare -
differences in virtualization routines, but Bochs is free <http://
bochs.sourceforge.net/>

Dan

Re: Make Akta Prime Software work under Linux!?

WS-4
Hi Dan,

I just tried your suggestion with the Crossover Linux. I get the same
problems as with wine.
To make things run, I borrowed a PC with XP to be able to operate the
ÄKTA, while I consider the WINE port now as hobby project and I
consider to run install a virtual Windows on the Linux Machine.

I could resolve an issue where Emain asked for some 32bit alsa-
pulse.so files by installing a 32bit library, but now I am running
into lots of page faults which have not been displayed before. Then
the known messages about stack/heap problems and MFC42.DLL show up.

Best reagrds,

Wolfgang