List of all proteins.

adusumalli adusumalli
Can I get list of all the proteins available in nature?

Re: List of all proteins.

Don Gilbert
On 2010-01-22, adusumalli adusumalli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can I get list of all the proteins available in nature?

We're working on it... come back in a few decades for an answer.
Projects like sequencing 1.2 million new genes/proteins
from over 1800 species in the Sargasso Sea will get us there faster:
  http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/304/5667/66

Or if you just want a list of cataloged proteins, see
http://www.uniprot.org/

If you want to estimate the number of proteins in nature,
first estimate the number of species in nature (10-30 million),
then multiply by a factor around 10,000 to 40,000 proteins/species
for eukaryotes, under 5000 for smaller things, and adjust for a
portion of identical proteins (maybe 1/3 to 2/3) per species.

- Don Gilbert

Re: List of all proteins.

wattne
Hi!
You can download it from an FTP server: ftp.all-prots-in.nature.org .
But be prepared that the zip file is about 50 TeraBytes in size and
may contain humans, elephants, plants, bugs and definitely (computer)
viruses and worms.
Think first before you ask, adusumalli123! How should a complete list
of proteins = gene products exist if not even all genomes were
sequenced (which will take longer than the universe will exist and
more expensive than all gold, diamonds and oil).

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:20:26 +0800, adusumalli adusumalli
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Can I get list of all the proteins available in nature?

Re: List of all proteins.

kaj.stenberg
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi!
> You can download it from an FTP server: ftp.all-prots-in.nature.org .
> But be prepared that the zip file is about 50 TeraBytes in size and
> may contain humans, elephants, plants, bugs and definitely (computer)
> viruses and worms.

To ensure that none is missed one can create one's own list. Assume a
length-span of 50 - 1000 amino acids (you will miss some, but not
significantly many, you can correct that in another life).

Then make a script inserting each of the 20 amino acids into every
position in every combination and ask _your_ computer to assemble
the list. Go for coffee...

--
Kaj