Help with series resistance and EPSP variations

Help with series resistance and EPSP variations

Jeffrey Lopez-2
Hi everybody, there is a question I have since some time but still
dont have a convinvcing answer.
When your series resistance changes during a patch clamp experiment,
1- which influence does it have on my EPSP slope and amplitude?
2-why?
3-how would it help or not to use a discontinuous (switching) amplifier?
 If anyone could help me to understand I will appreciate it, please
try to be explicit in answering. Thanks a lot in advance!

Re: Help with series resistance and EPSP variations

Dr. Michael Ferber
Hmm.... hwta type of experiment are you doing? I assume your patchj electrode
is lovcated at the soma and you are in current clamp mode. Your EPSPs are
eliceted somewhere distant in the dendrites of a neuron. Right? Uner these
circumstances I would say that your RS is equivalent to the resistance if the
cytoplasm. To solve your question you may have a look to the length constant
of axons (or dendrites).

See for example here: http://neuroscience.uth.tmc.edu/s1/chapter03.html

Best wishes
Michael

> Hi everybody, there is a question I have since some time but still
> dont have a convinvcing answer.
> When your series resistance changes during a patch clamp experiment,
> 1- which influence does it have on my EPSP slope and amplitude?
> 2-why?
> 3-how would it help or not to use a discontinuous (switching) amplifier?
>  If anyone could help me to understand I will appreciate it, please
> try to be explicit in answering. Thanks a lot in advance!

Dr. Michael Ferber
Gottstreustr. 3
D-34127 Kassel
Tel:(+49) 0561 8165785