Detergent exchange

takayama-2
When you say deteregent exchange by extensive wash with buffer containing with new detergent, what extensive means?
In case that you use certain 100ul beads, which bounds protein,
extensive may be 10 times, 50 times or 100 times excess volume (hence 1ml, 5ml, 10ml buffer volume). But when the detergent is expesive, it is good to know reasonable criteria on this. Is there any protocol? Or I guess there might be analytical study with radio-labeled detergent to monitor deteregent exchange rate - that we can not do everytime.